Immigration Lawyer Frequently Asked Questions

8 FAQs where found , 8 in this page

What's a temporary worker visa and how can I get one?

Temporary worker visas are for individuals entering the country for temporary employment. A petition must first be filed by the prospective employer at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration services(USCIS) office. The petition must be approved in order for the individual to apply for a work visa. Learn More

When can I get a social security card?

You can apply for this at the local Social Security Administration office right after you receive employment authorization. This is very crucial in order to collect Social Security benefits and also benefit from different government services. Learn More

How can I pay my taxes if I don't have a social security number?

You can pay federal income taxes with an individual taxpayer identification number (ITIN).To find out more information on how to obtain an ITIN, visit the IRS site at Learn More

Things to consider before applying for citizenship

Becoming a citizen of United States is a privilege that should not be taken for granted. You will be able to enjoy the many benefits a citizen of this nation is enticed to. However, these rights and privileges are only received after going through the application process. Some things to consider before applying may include: The person must be a legal permanent resident. At least 18 years of age The person didn't make any other country a permanent home during their residency in the U.S. The resident should pass an English and History test The individual must have a clean criminal record Learn More

What's a stay of deportation?

Stay of deportation or stay removal is when the citizen faces deportation and requests temporary postponement. The first thing to consider is hiring a professional immigration lawyer to help with such a complicated process. The deportation can be postponed depending on where you are in the legal process and who is handling your case. The basic types of deportation include: Administrative stay of deportation: filled with a federal agency of the federal government Judicial stay of deportation:filled with a federal court Automatic stay of deportation:it goes into effect only when the foreign individual is filing an appeal Learn More

How do marriage visas work?

There are two ways to bring your spouse or future spouse to the United States: Fiance Visa (K-1): The fiance of the citizen must first file a K-1 in order to travel to the U.S. And marry the U.S. Citizen during the first 90 days since their arrival. Once married, the fiance must apply to become a permanent resident. Marriage Visa (K-3): This visa can help reduce the physical separation between the U.S. citizen and foreign spouse. It allows the spouse to enter the country as a non-immigrant while also waiting for the green card process to be completed. Learn More

How to apply for asylum?

The case law for asylum is always changing. Some factors should be considered before applying: Confinement and medical documentation are generally required Home country's Human Rights Report Witnesses' affidavits A detailed legal brief explaining or outlining the law as it pertains to the person's particular needs Learn More

How to apply to petition a relative?

A United States resident or lawful permanent resident can help certain relatives to become permanent residents of U.S. The first step to take is to file an I-130, a form used to prove the government the individual your are filing the petition for is your relative and not just some random person. These are the most common petitions filed: Parents Children or step-children Spouse Fiance Learn More