Envision you have been out and you had a few drinks, and then you end up sitting behind the wheel of the car with a possibility of deflated airbags in a traffic accident, what do you do next? Below are some of the tips necessary when involved in a situation with a car accident Miami that is DUI related.
- If any individual is injured, if necessary call for emergency medical assistance. Report the status of these injuries to the best of your best ability.
- Report the accident. It is required in some states if the accident consists of a significant amount of property damage or physical injury it must be reported.
- Dodge making any written or oral statements to police officers. If in the case of a Miami car accident you are suspected to be the cause of the accident and a DUI, it is important to speak with an attorney prior to making any statements.
- Do not cooperate with tests. You do not have any obligation to take a chemical/breath test or sobriety test. When refusing these tests there are no legal consequences. However, you will obtain a ticket for noncompliance.
- Dodge making written or oral statements to any victims or witnesses. It is important to not discuss the accident with any individuals. Even statements such as “I am sorry” can go against you in court. The reason for this is because in court the “I am sorry” statement can sound as if it is an admission of wrongdoing.
- Obtain the names, phone numbers, and addresses of any probable witnesses. This information is crucial in the case of not being at fault, because this information will most likely be excluded from the police report.
- Take photographs. If you have a cell phone or a camera, it is important to take your own pictures of the vehicles and the scene of the accident.
- Write down your interpretation of the car accident Miami. Write down the time and date of the writing. Prior to writing anything on paper, write “Confidential: Attorney-Client Privileged” and keep this statement in your possession for the eyes of you and attorney only.
- Do not flee the scene of the accident. It is crucial to stay at the scene of the accident if any victims or another vehicle is involved. This may cause a claim of felony hit and run.