VAWA Deportation Defense

VAWA Deportation Defense

By Emma Johnson
On 01 Feb, 2016

    Oftentimes immigrants, especially women, are helpless against the abuse and mistreatment of their United States citizens or permanent resident spouses. These women are generally more vulnerable as they can be victims of this destructive behavior when they enter the country, at work, and even within their own homes. Some immigrants who are facing removal proceedings can take advantage of the VAWA immigration law. Under this bill, you can request your green card based on abusive behavior received from a permanent resident or U.S. citizen.

    Although you can file a VAWA petition on your own, it’s not wise doing so. Immigration laws have evolved quite a lot and when forms are not submitted to the UCIS accordingly it may cause a delay and, in some cases, forms may also be denied. With the help of a VAWA deportation defense you can request your domestic violence green card with ease and accelerate the whole process. Many times delay and denial will cost you more than hiring a VAWA attorney with experience on VAWA immigration cases.

    An approved VAWA self-petition will provide the applicant with work authorization, an approved immigrant petition, and deferred action which allows the applicant, male or female, to apply for lawful permanent residency (Green Card). Some ‘spouse requirements’ need to be met in order to qualify to apply. These include:

    • Being married to a U.S. citizen abuser or permanent resident.
    • You or your child has suffered life-threatening cruelty from your U.S. citizen or permanent resident spouse.
    • Your marriage was done in good faith.
    • You are a person of good moral character.

    Children and parents of U.S. citizens or permanent residents can also apply if they have are victims of such abusive behavior. Any individual who has suffered life-threatening cruelty or battery by a U.S. citizen or permanent resident can take advantage of VAWA cancellation of removal.

    If you need help with the VAWA process with a VAWA attorney Miami, contact Gallardo Law Firm today. You can apply for relief from removal by filling out the VAWA cancellation of removal application.